Annual Appeal: Equip and Inspire Island Pacific School Students
It’s once again the time of year where we ask our IPS families and broader community to consider their philanthropic intentions, knowing that tuition alone does not cover our annual financial expenses. Your donations to our Annual Appeal help our school equip and inspire current and future students — no amount is too small: our school culture is “we are all in this together”.
The following is to update you on our successes — even during a pandemic — and our plans and hopes for the future.
IPS Achievements This Year
- The 2020-21 school year has been an exciting one at Island Pacific School, with lots to celebrate, including the following highlights:
- With generous help from the Smooth Stones Foundation, we purchased our school building in March of this year
- We established the Island Pacific School Endowment Fund
- Bowen Island Properties generously gifted the school Strata Lot 2 See below for our big plans for this space!
- In November, we celebrated our 25th anniversary of IPS, and 20 years in this building, with our Cyber Soiree – where we raised an astounding $75,000.
1. Island Pacific School Bursary Program (formerly Financial Aid)
Supporting students who could not otherwise afford to attend IPS has been a cornerstone of the school’s values since Day 1.
There are two ways we fund bursaries:
- Island Pacific School Bursary Program includes funds raised through our annual fundraising efforts; and grant funding from the Bowen Island Municipality
- Legacy funds gifted by families — examples are the Teal Ander Bursary Fund, the Margaret Witty Endowment Fund and Smooth Stones Foundation — all of which assist us with meeting our bursary target.
Every year, starting in September, we need to raise approximately $40,000, contingent upon annual enrollment, for student bursaries to ensure the goals set by founder Ted Spear provide financial support to those families in need.
It is only after meeting this target that we are in a position to allocate funds to annual program enhancements, campus improvements and tech supplies.
*For larger donations we prefer cheques, cash, credit card or e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Annual Educational Enhancements & Tech Supplies
Our current wish list includes:
- solar array for chromebook charging station
- audio/visual for classrooms, special events, assemblies, Mainstage and other productions
- fixed cameras
- mounted classroom speakers
- microphones and sound equipment
3. Grade 9 Legacy Giving
Grade 9 is the year families reflect on their child(s) time at IPS inspiring spirited legacy donations. Previous examples include:
- Rick’s Shed
- Senior Student Arts Award
- Our indoor honeybee hive
- Picnic tables to enhance our outdoor learning experience
4. Field House
Now that we proudly own our building, we can set our sights on an outdoor campus. This artist’s rendering is the vision of what’s possible for our outdoor covered Field House.
The possibilities are endless for this outdoor space.
As you grow older you will discover you have two hands – one for helping yourself, and one for helping others.
– Maya Angelou