At Island Pacific School, we understand that all students possess an independent learning profile characterized by individual strengths and challenges. The learning strategies department at IPS supports all students through a Response to Intervention model (RTI) that implements best educational practices for both academic and behavioural goals.
At Island Pacific we use a three-tiered response model. The approach delivers an inclusive and effective education for all students. As the graphic below indicates, we use a collaborative approach based on current pedagogical research.
The Learning Strategies staff collaborate closely with IPS teachers and parents to ensure a warm, effective and memorable middle school experience.
- All students, all staff
- Best first instruction with universal access
- Workshops on executive functioning and study skills
- Environmental adaptations to support time management and planning
- Graphic organizers to aide written output
- Social-emotional strategies such as social skills/thinking groups
- Weekly meetings with teachers and administration
- In class and pull outs
- Small group assistance
- Monitored by assessment
- Adaptations for workspace and testing
- Individual Education Plans (IEPs)
- One to one pull outs
- Adaptations for workspace, due dates and testing
“The more you learn, the more you know and the more places you will go.”