by Victoria Van Schouwen
Community Service and Excursion Program at IPS
Here at IPS, we strongly believe in the immense power of experiential learning. Every Wednesday, students get the opportunity to leave the physical boundaries of our school and go on a fun learning excursion or participate in service learning.
This year, excursions included: Bard on the Beach, tandem biking around Stanley Park, The Planetarium, The Vancouver Symphony, swimming at the West Vancouver Aquatic Centre, Origins Parkour Gym, skating at Harry Jerome, the Vancouver Museum, and the Stanley Park Ecology Centre.
As well as the excursions, students participated in a variety of service learning opportunities. The grade 6’s and 7’s participated in the Shoreline Cleanup, volunteered at Home Farm Gardens, the Bowen Children’s Centre, the Bowen Library, and worked with Metro Vancouver Parks and Recreation in Crippen Park.
A group of 6’s and 7’s also fundraised $250 in order to fund an island wide mail-out of the first ever C.A.W.E.S Bowen Island Companion Animal Survey.
New this year, the grade 8’s completed their MYP Community Service Project: a year long student-driven service project that encourages each student to find a cause they are passionate about and either do direct or indirect service, advocacy, or research.
Here is a list of the projects completed by the students:
- Kallum, Elliott, Jackson B., and Cameron P. raised $330 for Jump Start
- Colleen and Hudson raised $80 for Turtle Island
- Quinn, Katelyn, and Farrah created a poverty advocacy campaign and raised $328 for the BC Poverty Reduction Plan
- Taliesin busked in North Vancouver and raised $300 for Ancient Forest Alliance
- Chloe and Ben created a website to raise awareness and fundraise $500 for Rhinos Without Borders
- Drake and Nathaniel created a 50/50 draw for BC Children’s Hospital and raised $214
- Chai busked and raised $100 for Agape, a baby home in Thailand
- Jackson J. refurbished 9 donated bikes for Bikes for Humanity.
The grade 9’s worked with Covenant House through their Sleep Out program this year and raised $6,400!
It’s been a busy year. Thank you to all the students for your passion, engagement, and philanthropy this year, and for all the parents that supported this learning.