Built around the tenets of Equip (1st Curriculum) and Inspire (2nd Curriculum), the IB MYP and Province of BC frameworks, the Island Pacific School Curriculum is dedicated to exceeding the needs of middle school students and setting them up for personal excellence.
- IPS 4 year program (Progression of responsibility and student agency, )
- Middle school experts (6, 7, 8, 9 )
- The curriculum is designed as a 4 year program.
The central goal of the instructional curriculum at IPS is to help initiate students into the great conversations of human inquiry, so that they might eventually find their own voice. This initiation necessarily includes active investigation of the knowledge, skills and dispositions that have (enabled) brought about some of our greatest human achievements: language, art, music, literature, athletics, philosophy, science, math, design and technology.
The school uses both the BC Ministry of Education curriculum and the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (MYP) as the instructional frameworks to realize this goal.
Island Pacific School Curriculum: Program Elements
The Grade 9 Masterworks Program
The Masterworks Program is a graduation requirement for our grade 9 students. They must:
- Produce work that surpasses their previous accomplishments
- Conduct in-depth research
- Communicate their understanding to academic advisors and the general public in an oral presentation that also serves as a defense of their scholarly and creative pursuits
- Critically reflect on input they receive throughout the school year by experts and mentors who serve as external committee members.